Monday, May 15, 2006

Scones - The sequel


When we last left Mindy and her scones, they were dried out and while not exactly birdfood, they were definitely not for eating.

So, since my motto is "Learn by doing" well, my new motto at least. I decided to try them again. Practice, practice, practice.

Also, since I can't remember a dang thing anymore from one minute to the next, I knew I had to recreate the experience while all of Suzanne's directives were still somewhat fresh in my head.

All week I've been trying to slice out a bit of time to make scones and finally last night I did. First I have to tell you a bit about my kitchen. Small is an understatement and the oven dates back to the dark ages but it is a gas oven, which I love, and I've cooked enough in it to know that it is slightly undercalibrated so things need a little more time.

Now let's discuss counter space - non-existent. I have one counter area which has the sink in the middle of it so all in all I have about 2 feet of counter space on either side of the sink. But I welcome all of these challenges because surmounting them can only make me a better cook!

OK. I decided to start off by plumping the dried cranberries. This is a method Suzanne discussed in class briefly but we did not do it in the actual baking process. Earlier in the week I emailed Suzanne and asked about plumping. She graciously emailed me back with directions on both the hot and cold method. Who knew there were even two plumping methods?

I decided on the hot since it takes only about 20-30 minutes as opposed to the TWO DAYS of the cold method. I plumped them in a yummy pomegranate/apple juice. Suzanne says you can plump them in any type of juice or even wine or sherry. I chose the above juice because, well, basically because I had it here. And I like it.

So while the cranberries were cooling off, I started the dough. Remembering that my problem last time was overworking the butter into the flour, I was very cautious. Problem number one - my bowl was inadequate. Floor kept coming out onto the counter. I was even more cautious. Finally I got to where I thought the butter was pea-sized, granted they were fairly large peas but I wasn't taking any chances. So I added the liquid and the yummy plump cranberries and quite the opposite thing happened than happened last time. It was goopy and stuck to my fingers. This time too wet.

WWSD? I put the dough in the fridge to firm up and timed it by the commercials on The West Wing (I cried like a baby last night at the final episode. The West Wing has such fond memories for me. I spent a day on the set once and everyone was so nice and friendly and I was wishing that Martin Sheen really was the president and I got to stand where CJ used to stand for press conferences. A fond, fond memory.) But I digress.

OK. So dough is firmer, thinks are looking up. I get out my trusty rolling pin (yes, I have a rolling pin!) and prepare the dough. Hmmm. After rolling it's a little wet again. I chalk this up to it being warm in the kitchen as well as the loss of flour in the mixing process, so now that the dough is in a beautiful circular shape, ready for slicing, I put it back in the fridge for one more chilling effect.

Half hour later it's ready to be cut into beautiful triangles and baked. Oh, but let's not forget the glazing. Last time we glazed it with heavy cream but since I forgot to buy cream at the store, an egg wash would have to do. And truth be told, it turns out I like the egg wash result better.

So I bake my scones and I gotta tell you, my house smelled terrific. The buzzer went off and I looked in. It seemed they needed some more time but I wasn't sure. Note to self: Ask Suzanne how to tell when they are done!

Five more minutes and they are done. Now, I was worried because last week, the scones that were too wet spread out and became somewhat flat and somewhat unappetizing. That didn't happen. They actually look pretty good. They lost a little shape, probably because of the wetness, but I think I pulled it off fairly well.

They tasted really good too. Very flaky and buttery. The plumping added a really good touch. I'm taking one to class tonight to see what Suzanne thinks. And while I know for sure they aren't "perfect" I definitely think I learned a thing or two.

Can't wait for tonight's class - it's yeast baking - breads. Should be a trip!

Oh, here's the scone recipe for anyone that wants to try it:

3 cups AP flour
1 Tb + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp orange zest
1/2# butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 yolk

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it resembles peas. Add liquids, then cranberries. Gently combine until the flour has moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, pat together and fold the dough in half and onto itself twice. Pat into an 8" round, cover and chill until firm. Remove from the refrigerator and cut into wedges of desired size. Without separating the wedges of scone, flip them over. Glaze the scones with an egg wash (1 egg and 1 yolk) then apply a generous layer of sugar. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Believe me, easier said than done. Have fun!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dissertation Writing said...

Nice, accurate and to the point. Not everyone can provide information with proper flow. Good post. I am going to save the URL and will definitely visit again. Keep it up.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home