Tuesday, May 16, 2006

All Hail the King

OK. So you know how I was all proud of my second attempt at scones and while I knew they still weren't perfect, I was kinda hoping Suzanne would be impressed. At least impressed that I had the wherewithal to bring one in for show and tell.

Well, that didn't happen.

She looked at the scone I brought in and went, "uh-huh." Then she cracked it open and told me it was too "webby." So what I had mistaken for nice and flaky was too "webby." She told me that the flour had absorbed too much water which can happen for a number of reasons: My hands were warm, melting the butter too much and allowing the flour to absorb water and form gluten or the brand of flour was too absorbent and therefore I should cut back on the liquid or use a better brand of flour.

Did you know that "brand" of flour makes a difference? I sure as heck didn't. I know there are different "types" of flour like cake flour, bread flour, AP (all-purpose) flour and I know that will make a difference but brand? I told her I used Gold Medal and she said "Uh-huh."

"What flour should I use?" I queried. She told me she always buys King Arthur. Damn, who knew? I just used what was in the fridge and I had bought an extra little bag in case I needed more. I bought Pillsbury, not King Arthur. I was not aware of King Arthur. Learn something new...

She did comment that the color and crust was nice. Actually what she said in a somewhat surprised voice was "Hmm. Well, the Gold Medal did do a nice job here," referring to the color and crust. She also said they held their shape nicely.

So it was a mixed review. And I learned a valuable flour lesson. My head is spinning with all that is involved in baking. It's chemistry combined with artistry - a fact that was driven home in a big way with last night's lesson - baguettes and challah.

The good news about last night's class was we all got our white chef's jackets. What a hoot! I felt like a fraud, I must say. I put it on but I feel as if I haven't earned the right to wear it yet.

The bad news about last night's class was we did yeast bread, and without a bread machine. I'm still trying to absorb it all and will expound on the details in my next post. Let's just say about 3/4 through the class I asked Suzanne if this was the hardest class we would have. She smiled and said no.

GULP!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home